Urban Image Database
View of former Governor's Bulwarks
The lithography depicts former Governor's Bulwarks along with an east view of the middle part of Vynnychenko Street (formerly known as Charnetskyi St., or before that – as Pańska (Lords') St.) To the right is the Governors Palace, constructed in 1821, which now functions as the session hall of the Lviv Regional Rada (Council, or Parliament). Next to it in the picture is the Chołoniewski Palace, which no longer exists. The building which housed the office of the former coach mail service, providing links between Lviv and Vienna, can also be seen.
The Opening of the Monument of A. Mickiewicz
The photograph shows the moment of the opening of the monument to poet Adam Mickiewicz, which took place on October 30, 1904. The day of the opening became a holiday in Lviv: flags were hung out, facades and balconies were decorated, in the cathedral a High Mass was celebrated on this occasion. Poet’s son Wladyslaw Mickiewicz came to Lviv to take part in the celebration, and a famous Lviv composer Stanislaw Niewiadomski wrote a cantata on this occasion. It was performed on the ceremony of the opening by a choir of more than 150 people.
Former Akademicki Square
Postcard depicting the inofficial Aleksandr Fredro Square (today Shevchenko Boulevard). In 1871-1944 the place was called the Plac Akademicki, or Academicki Square. In the foreground part of the small park can be seen with an element of the monument to Count Fredro (1897, by sculptor L. Marconi). At the far left the building No. 28 in then Akademicka Street can be seen (constructed in 1897 by Jakub Bałaban). Beginning in 1912 the building housed the Corso Cinema. Left to right are: building No. 25 in Akademicka St., constructed in 1911 by Jan Schulz; view of Fredro St.; building No. 27 on the intersection of the former Fredro and Łozyński streets (constructed 1908-1909 by Zbigniew Brochwicz-Levynskyi), home to the famous Szkocka (Scottish) Coffeehouse in 1909-1939; view of Łozyński St, which was constructed in 1913 in place of the park, surrounding the Fredro Palazzo.
A reasonably commonplace urban view with a picture of the City Theater was new in the early twentieth century. Since 1900 this view became a necessary element of all publications presenting our city, such as postcards, albums and travel guides. The issue of constructing a new, modern theater building arose around 1892, when Skarbek's lease timed out. This meant that from now on the old-fashioned thatre builiding was the charge of the city authorities. After many discussions, a competition was announced for the best project of a new building for the theater. A competent panel of judges selected the winner, architect Zygmunt Gorgolewski, winner of 2nd prize in the competition of projects for the Berlin Reichstag. Finally the foundation-laying began in 1896. For this purpose the river-bed of the Poltva was diverted. Construction was undertaken by the company of Ivan Levynskyi, electrical equipment was installed by Siemens. The completion of the new theater building in Lviv opened a new era in the history of performing arts in the city. The City Theater (also known in various times as the Opera Theater, the Grand Theater, the Ivan Franko Opera and Ballet Theater, and now finally as the Solomiya Krushelnytska State Academic Theater for Opera and Ballet) had its festive opening ceremony on October 4, 1900. Tadeusz Pawlikowski, the first director of the new theater, presented a speech. Pawlikowski was invited from Cracow and offered to form and head a theatrical group. He held the post for six years, during which time 43 operas, 46 operettas and hundreds of drama performances were staged. The first show to play at the new premises was the opera Janek by W. Żełeński with Oleksandr Myshuha and Janina Korolewicz performing the main parts. The opera was directed by Ludwik Solski.
Adam Mickiewicz Monument against the Background of a Multistory Building
Building No. 8 behind the monument at one time was the highest building in Lviv – Lviv’s version of a skyscraper. It was built in 1914-1921 for businessman Jonah Sprecher, but its construction was associated with a scandal since all the architects of Lviv publicly objected to the project. During the interwar period many establishments were located here. During the Soviet era the largest bookstore in the city – "House of Books" – was located on the first floor of the building, where it still is located today.